Week 15 Prompt


When you think of a public library, a lot of time, the first thing that will come to someone’s mind is the word ‘books’. Specifically, fiction books. As such, it is not instinctive for us, as librarians, to think of the need for advertising in fiction books. Why should we when they are the most commonly checked out material? What is often overlooked, though, is that while big name authors or series might not need to be advertised, there are many amazing novels, written by lesser-known authors, which are not on our patrons radars. As such, it is our job as librarians to open up to our patrons the entire world of fiction that the library provides to them.  There are many possibilities for this type of fiction advertising, but below are a few of my favorites that I use in my own library.

Read-Alike Promotional Materials:

Although we often have services such as novelist at our disposal for those tricky RA circumstances where a patron will put you on the spot asking for a read-alike of the book they just finished, it can be invaluable to have pre-made read-alike pamphlets and posters at the ready. For example, with my own library, we have selected ten authors from each of our genres that we know our patrons read religiously, and have hand selected a list of authors that have similar characteristics to the popular, well-loved author. In this manner, we not only have suggestions for our patrons that burn through an authors published work at rapid speed, but we are also exposing those patrons to new or relatively unknown authors that were not previously on their radar.

Live, Virtual Book Talks:  

With ever improving technology to aid in our endeavors as librarians, it is only natural that we would take advantage of new capabilities. One that applies to featuring and advertising new adult fiction materials is the capability to have live book talks on our Facebook page. Once a month, our adult circulation staff will select a set number of books to feature for the live book talk, and they will discuss the plot, the genre, and other appeal factors of each novel. Often these novels will be ones that are brand new to the libraries shelves, and feature a mix of well-known and up and coming authors. The brilliant nature of this type of advertising, is that not only are people able to interact with our librarians through live commenting as the book talk is occurring, but that also the video will post to our FB page at the conclusion and patrons that missed the live version are still able to view the video.

Weekly Patron/Staff Recommendations:

At my own library, we have not only voracious readers on our staff, but also in our patron base that love to read anything and everything, while also sharing with others their opinions. For this reason, we have a rotating staff and patron recommendation section on our website and on our social media accounts; these recommendations are upadated on a weekly basis. For our staff, we collect their reading recommendations as they are ready, and for our patrons we distribute review cards when they check out materials. If the patron is so inclined, they will fill out the review card for the novel in question. It is from these review cards that we pull patron recommendations for our weekly rotation of staff and patron recommendations on our website and social media. Patrons now specifically seek out these new reviews on Mondays, when they know that new ones will be posted.

As I said before, there are many options beyond these, these are simply what have worked for my own library in increasing the circulation rates in our adult fiction collections.

Comments

  1. I think the staff and patron recommendations are so very valuable for readers. I like that your library maintains a section on the website and on social media accounts that is updated weekly. I think if patrons see the same "favorites" listed for a month or two, they'll stop checking out the staff and patron picks online. Does your library also have a bulletin board/ display at the physical library with staff and patron picks? I only use my library's website to search for materials and never just browse the site in its entirety. I, personally, would be much more likely to see a physical display at the library. Nevertheless, I love that patrons get to see what their peers are reading and staff picks hold a certain level of inherent respect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I addresses staff recommendations in my posting as well. I think it is a time-honored tradition that cannot be undone by even the fanciest of technology. If there is a staff picks area in a library or a bookstore, I'm there. What's even better is actually finding the person who made the recommendation and finding out why! The key, though, is keeping them fresh, which is why I like that your is weekly. It's not only good for the patrons to always have something to look forward to, but it keeps the staff reading. My job has a requirement that we download at least one book a month on our program's downloading service, and I know that it has made me a better readers advisory. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read-Alikes forever!

    Okay, a real comment. I think once people find a book they love, they always want more. But, there just isn't another Harry Potter in the world. But there are some great books that have Harry-like qualities. I'm guessing any librarian who has worked anywhere for more than a couple weeks knows what books their patrons are always asking about and can create those lists quickly. The more work we can share and do ahead of time, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I love the staff and patron recommendations. What a great way to get the community involved! Also, I have never seen library live talks- this is an idea I have never heard of and I think it is great!
    I also had the thought about fiction books maybe not needing as much advertising, but I had the same idea as you did that sometimes the authors who are not "big names" get overlooked. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea,
    I love that your library has resources for read-alikes. It definitely helps librarians find a quick reference if patrons are asking about a particular book or author. I find many people, myself included, get a severe "book hangover," where you want to find a book exactly like the one you read, but it needs to be a little different. However, you can't really find yourself to "get over" the last one. Happens to me frequently. I also like your idea about the virtual booktalks, I think that is a great way to connect with patrons over the Internet. Also, weekly patron/staff recommendations are so helpful. I like how you said weekly because they should change frequently. Thanks so much for your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had my attention at read alikes, but I LOVE the idea of virtual book talks. Time constraints often prevent me from attention book clubs/talks at my library, so having something virtual available is definitely a program I would utilize. Wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual book talks are such an awesome idea, I love how they extend library service outside the doors of the library. I also love how it build an online community around the library, which helps with promotion and marketing. Great idea!

      Delete
  7. Andrea,
    I love that you pull recommendations from your patrons as well as your staff! What a wonderful way to ensure that your patrons feel involved as well. Sometimes it can be difficult to connect patrons to the library in other ways than just providing the books they want, but I think that is great for your whole community to make people feel more connected to each other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts