Horror Annotation- Meddling Kids


Author: Edgar Cantero
Title:  Meddling Kids
Genre: Horror
Publication Date: July 11, 2017
Publisher: Doubleday Books
Number of Pages: 322 Pages
ISBN13: 9780385541992
Geographical Setting: Blyton Hills, Zoinx River Valley in Oregon.
Time Period: 1990 
Series: Stand-alone (for now)
Subject Headings: Haunted houses, Horror


Plot Summary:

What happened to the Scooby-Doo gang after they grew up? Cantero tackles this question in his newest novel, Meddling Kids. Set in the fictional town Blyton Hills in Zonxy River Valley, Oregon, readers are introduced to the Blyton Summer Detective Club-- Andy, Nate, Peter, Karrie, and Tim (Weimaraner). In 1977, the teenage detectives become ‘famous’ for unmasking the Sleepy Lake monster, Thomas X. Wickley, a thief in a costume. Haunted by their memories from that night, the teenage detective club goes their separate ways, but the case just does not sit well with them. Fast-forward 13 years, Andy, the tomboy, is wanted in at least two states, Nate bounces around mental hospitals, Karrie is a would be biologist, and Peter the once famous movie star has overdosed and now follows Nate as a ghost. Determined that to move on with their lives they must return to Sleepy Lake and find the real solution to the mystery, Andy reunites the remaining team. Along the way they encounter shocking revelations about the case they thought they knew. Scooby-doo meets H.P Lovecraft.

Appeal:

Tone/Mood: Contrary to what you might think from looking at this cover, it is not a lighthearted book you can pass on to your kids. The tone of the story is dark and somber from the get go, with Cantero creating characters that are dealing with heavy inner demons and mental health issues.

Style/Language: Cantero uses lush prose that draws readers in, but readers should be aware that this novel contains frequent, heavy use of profanity.  

Storyline: Cantero has an infuriating habit of switching from novelization to screenplay and back again, but redeems the story line by ratcheting up the horror elements throughout, keeping you guessing until the ultimately satisfying, surprising ending.

Characterization: Quirky and somewhat likable. While there was a lot of potential with these characters, Cantero gives us no real details to give their lives and personalities weight. What we do learn about the characters is not enough for readers to really sink their teeth in and become attached and invested in the characters. The character with the most personality was the dog, who also had the most natural reactions to everything happening.

Pacing:  Erratic pacing. Contains passages with descriptive, drawn out dialogue that are quickly contradicted with fast paced, heart thumping action/horror scenes that have you on the edge of your seat.  

Writing Style: Witty and engaging


Horror Characteristics:

·         Fear inducing twists and turns in the plot
·         Necromancy
·         Demonic creatures
·         Re-incarnation
·         Startling and disgusting elements
·         Foreshadowing & uneasiness throughout
·         Occult happenings
·         Ghosts

Read-a-likes/ Similar Authors:

·         Joyland by Stephen King
·         The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero
·         The Devil's Detective by Simon Kurt Unsworth

Comments

  1. I'm not one for horror books. I thought that this could be my introduction into the world of horror. Would you suggest this book for my first one or would there be a different one you would say I should try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was drawn to comment on this review because you mentioned the author incorporating mental health issues and inner demons into the characters and plot. I am always on the lookout for books that deal with mental health issues in a realistic and responsible way. And mental health issues and drug abuse as a response to trauma seems like a good start.
    While I do enjoy dark, macabre, disturbing elements in movies and shows, I have not read a great deal of horror-not even Stephen King! I read The House on Haunted Hill by Shirley Jackson last spring, though, and LOVED IT. I foolishly took it with me while I was staying at an old bed and breakfast and I could not sleep! In any case, that book also sort of expertly dealt with mental decline and how it can contribute to fear and paranoia. And can I say, I think the fact that the overdose victim is still a part of the story as a ghost? You did a great job hitting all the sweet spots of horror characteristics. What a great list (any time you can incorporate the word "necromancy" into a situation is a win). It seems like this books really appeals to folks of my generation (that is, kids who came of age in the 80s and 90s, grew up on Scooby-Doo AND H.P Lovecraft, and are now possibly drug-addicts, suffering from mental health issues, or failing in their careers!)
    Oh, and thanks for the heads-up about it not being for kids. If I were to just see the cover and title, I would have totally picked it out for my 12-year-old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read this book since I heard about it on a podcast! It sounds like a 100% creepy horror book being sold as a fun romp into the woods in some ways, and that appeals to me. Is there a lot of violence? Supernatural stuff creeps me out temporarily (in a good way) but violence sticks with me forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      If you don't mind, would you share what podcast you heard about this book on? I am on the lookout for new podcasts, especially ones that might turn me on to books I wouldn't necessarily find otherwise! Thanks :) ~Anna

      Delete
  4. I almost did a little dance when I saw that you reviewed this book! I've always been a Scooby Doo fan and have been dying to read this. I'm still waitlisted for it at my local library.

    You had me hooked at Scooby Doo meets H.P. Lovecraft. I'm more curious than ever about it now and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too LOVED this book! It really reminds me of Grady Hendrix who write humorous horror novels like My Best Friend's Exorcism and Horrorstor (I wish there were more books in this sub-genre). Full points on an excellent annotation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts