Week 12 Prompt


Title: I Can't Make This Up: Life Lessons

Author: Kevin Hart

Publication Date: June 6, 2017

Number of Pages: 400

Geographic Setting: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Los Angeles, California

Time Period: 1979-2017

Subject Headings:

Hart, Kevin, 1979-Comedians; Biography; African American comedians; Motion picture actors and actresses; HUMOR; SELF-HELP; Motivational & Inspirational.

Type: Biography/ Memoir

Series Notes: Stand-alone

Book Summary:

A book of life lessons that is simultaneously hilarious and very honest, open with quality advice. Growing up in North Philadelphia with a cheating, drug and alcohol abusing father and mother that did everything she could to hold the family together, Hart turns to comedy and laughter when he has nothing else. Upon graduating an entering community college for a brief stint, he dropped out and started working at a shoe store with aspirations of working for Nike.

Having found a passion of making his shoe customers laugh, Hart begins to preform at small clubs. Throughout the next 10 years of his life, Hart experiences the lowest lows and the highest highs with trying to get in with the big-name comedians, trying to star in movies and tv shows, and performing wherever he could. Constant struggles with personal relationships, money, and his career plague this biography.

This is far from an easy read, Hart lays it all down for his readers, but where he defers from other comedian biographies is that he does everything he can to allow his readers to learn from his numerous mistakes and to have hope just as he did.

Reading Elements:

Characterization: Hart is not afraid to be real and admit his own faults. He skillfully introduces his readers to those in his life without adding to much of his own bias.

Writing Style: Comedic, chatty, punchy

Pacing: Very fast paced, even when he was telling side stories, something just propels you forward in-explicitly. His story is captivating and makes readers want to just keep reading, even if it is longer than most memoirs.

Tone/Mood: Honest, up-front, genuine, inspirational, emotional

Annotation:

Brutally honest and laugh out loud funny, Kevin Hart tells us the story of his success 16-years in the making. Featuring a rough start to life and big dreams, Hart outlines the pivotal moments of his career and the teachable moments he learned along the way. Truly inspirational and completely open and honest.  

Similar Works:
  • Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey
  •  The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer


Name of Annotator: Andrea Chronister

Comments

  1. I think I might enjoy reading this book, there is just one question: is there much foul language? I can handle small amounts of it, but not too much and I notice with some comedians there seems to be more foul language than I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be very honest, there are no holds barred with this book, including some pretty heavy profanity. I would not recommend it if you tend to shy away from profanity.

      Delete
  2. Ok, I'm pretty excited about this book. I did not know it existed. Actually, because apparently I live in a cave, I did not know who this person was until I went and saw Jumanji with my kids. In any case, he was utterly hilarious. I read Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher last summer and it was that similar, no-holds-barred kind of writing that you discuss here. I'm glad to see Bossypants on your read-alikes-that one had been on my list for a while now. This is a great annotation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll have to check this one out, because he is super funny. It will be nice to see a more serious side of him and hear his background story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kevin Hart's comedy! He is so...what would you call it? Spunky? Intense? I don't know, but he's hilarious. It sounds like his book is somewhat inspirational as well. When you say it's not an easy read, I assume he had a pretty bad childhood? I can see that. It's probably what made him so intense. Anyway, great post! I will definitely think about reading this one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts