Week 7 Prompt- Author Mills

Author Mills, I am looking at you James Patterson, are one of my biggest pet peeves as a librarian, and there are certainly many of them. Although, the annoyance with these types of authors began long before my library career.

I have the utmost respect for authors that can write and publish multiple books in a year. I recognize the effort that goes in to not only establishing yourself as a writer, but also keeping yourself relevant and publishing in a timeline that will keep your name on the shelves. What bothers me about the publishing industry, is the fact that debut authors have a hard time getting their name out there, no matter the quality and merit of their writing. On the contrary, established authors (author mills) will get a positive review of just about anything that they write no matter how formulaic it is. I have tried authors that pump out books left and right, and more often than not, I feel as if I am reading the same book with only the slightest changes made to the story line. The fact that these novels continue to sell and be highly rated speaks more to our society’s tendency to want the known and to ignore the unknown rather than quality. There are fantastic new authors out there trying to break these molds of the same storyline repeatedly, yet they rarely get recognition without some type of endorsement.

A pet peeve perhaps bigger than ignoring new and upcoming authors in favor of established authors, however, is when established authors will co-write with lesser known or just starting out authors. While this might sell the book, most readers just see the established author’s name. For example, with James Patterson, his name is always larger than the title, and then in smaller, barely noticeable print is the co-author’s name. I have spoken with several authors, at ILF, that have co-authored books with Patterson, and they have explicitly said that they are the ones actually writing and Patterson simply edits and revises. Yet he still gets a majority of the credit!

Past the more obvious lack of new author recognition, there is also the consideration of the library. In my own library, we have 100+ authors that are on automatic order, which helps me keep my collection development current when authors put out new books. However, this often leads to multiple copies of books by authors such as James Patterson, Clive Cussler, Nora Roberts, Debbie Macomber, David Baldacci, John Grisham, etc. In my own library, these authors have a very specific following of patrons, and once each of these patrons have read the new books; they proceed to the shelf to sit there until I finally deem them able to be weeded. For authors that publish 100+ book in their lifetime, this is a massive amount of shelf space taken by a single author, especially for a smaller library like mine. I cannot help but believe that not only the money spent, but also the shelf space, could be used on authors that are not author mills. Nevertheless, the ultimate question is how do we convince the patrons that are diehard fans of these authors to branch out?

Comments

  1. Author mills make me crazy. For all the reason you mentioned, plus the idea that the people that are working behind the scenes are not getting the recognition they deserve because they're too busy working of famous authors. I mean, no one gets credit for pouring out the latest "James Patterson" book.

    I went through a phase where I read all the John Grisham, Jodi Picoult, etc. Then I started finding more books. There is NOTHING wrong with these authors; they are just part of the big puzzle. I feel like our challenge as librarians is to find a way to use people's passion for Grisham and parlay it into information about other authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea!

    I totally agree with you- author mills drive me nuts, too! Especially Beverly Lewis. I absolutely love Amish country, don't get me wrong, and I have the highest respect for the Amish community, which is why Beverly Lewis drives me nuts. First of all, the models on the front covers are clearly wearing makeup, and the Amish don't believe in getting their pictures taken (graven images), let alone wear makeup. Also, she packs too much drama into her stories, but as you put it, it is very formulaic, as well. The Amish people I have met are very down-to-earth. I once had a conversation with an Amish man at a flea market about tomatoes. How practical can one get!?! Plus, she writes the same thing over and over again, to the point where I think she just inserts different characters and that's the only thing that is different about each book. Then, there are the other writers who try to mimic Lewis- Wanda Brunstetter and Cindy Woodsmall, for example, that can't even compare to Lewis. I've seen so many grammar mistakes in some of the books of the lesser-known authors who write Amish fiction, that it makes me wonder if they ever collaborated with an editor at all before publishing!

    That's my rant haha, I also agree that the author mills take up too much space on the shelves, which influence readers to only stick with them and not branch out. I felt like it was the same way with movie trends for a while- Disney ran out of ideas, so they tried to recreate all of their animated movies into live-action movies. It's like, can't anyone come up with an original idea for a story anymore!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of author mills before this class, but I've certainly noticed the phenomenon of an author with many books published becoming formulaic with their books. It's good to have a name for it.

    I agree that the co-authoring thing is awful. I noticed that a lot of Clive Cussler's books are co-authored, but the second author is introduced as "with s-and-so", like they're not even really part of the process. Also, I used one of Cussler's books for my adventure annotation, and when I went to the library to find a book, there were SO MANY of his books taking up the shelves; at least three or four series worth. I wonder who they had to leave off of the shelves in favor of Cussler's books...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great response that generated some awesome discussion. I couldn't agree more about James Patterson! Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts